Friday, August 24, 2012

#BlogElul, Day 6: On Faith, (or at least Light)

Today's #BlogElul theme is faith. And as I was reading Rabbi Rebecca Einstein Schorr's blog on the subject, I was reminded of something I wrote lo those many years ago, as a rabbinic student at Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Los Angeles. A classmate organized a group of us to write kavannot (remember, intentions) for the eight nights of Chanukah. I was assigned to write about faith.


So, while this is geared towards the lights of the chanukiah, perhaps it can serve as an intention as you light your Shabbat candles tonight..... 

Shabbat Shalom!!

*********

Each year when I place my candles in the chanukiah, I celebrate the Festival of Lights—a way of bringing light into this very darkest time of the year, and an acknowledgement of my faith that the light will shine after the menorah has burned out. Each one of us, in our own way, has faith in those lights.

This year, these are the faiths with which I light my chanukiah:

With each candle I light, I affirm my faith in my Jewish way of life, just as the Maccabees did with their struggle.

With each candle I light, I acknowledge my faith in the Divine Presence, even though it may seem far or even absent at times.

With each candle I light, I announce my faith that, even in the darkest of times, I will be able to summon a light to guide my path.

With each candle I light, I regain my faith that the Divine Presence will light that path.

With each candle I light, I proclaim my faith in the family and friends with whom I gather around the menorah, for they too are guiding lights of my life.

With each candle I light, I broadcast my faith in miracles, even if they seem to be only the little ones of daily life.

With each candle I light, I publicly declare that I am a person of faith.

With each candle I light, I reclaim the very notion of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment